Friday, February 24, 2012

Chalkboard Labels

A few days ago, I noticed that my countertops were looking a little dingy.  I started out by wiping them down a little...spot cleaning...next thing I knew, I had the bleach out, everything had been moved from counters to the island and kitchen table, I was putting things away that I never use but have just made the counter their "home", re-organizing to make my kitchen more efficient.....and suddenly I had an idea spark from something I'd seen on a blog somewhere: chalkboard labels.  At first I thought I'd have to go out and buy some chalkboard paint, but then I remembered that I have something even better -- chalkboard contact paper.  About 5 minutes later (using a compass for perfect circles) I had turned a bunch of quart-sized jars into my dry-goods/bulk food station:

Chalkboard stickers for my jars of grain, seeds and nuts

I love having these all out where I can see them, and know at a glance if I am low on supplies.

Chalkboard stickers for my jars of grain, seeds and nuts

Had I known that I was doing a kitchen overhaul, I would have photographed "before" and "after", but here's what the counter by the sink looks like now.

Re-organized counterspace

I've got fruit out for the children to easily access for fresh snacks, and my water kefir (with sugar and raisins -- no lemons or ginger this time) is fermenting out where I can see it so that I won't forget it in the pantry (jar with cheesecloth, 2nd to far right).  The flip-top soda-bottle at the furthest right is a batch of dried cherry kefir getting a 2nd fermentation to build up the fizz and complex B vitamins.  To the far left is the sugar jar, and the next over is Irish Cut (steel cut) oats.

I didn't photograph the rest of my kitchen, but I'm so happy with the final result.  After putting away all of the things that I don't use on a regular basis, I feel like there's room to breathe, and so much more counterspace.  Everything is easier to keep clean and neat, because it's not all crowded anymore.  I'm not a super "organized" kind of person (that's Greg's half of our relationship), but periodic full-on re-ordering like this refreshes my soul.  I guess I'm just weird like that.

Yay clean kitchen!

2 comments:

jsivers said...

Real food is so pretty.  How did we (as a society) ever get sucked into the processed crap?  Love your jar idea, btw!

Susie said...

Awesome idea!