Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Beauty all around

As the time for this baby's arrival draws ever closer, I have found myself in moments of panic. The thing of it is, the panic doesn't seem to be based on actual fact, just vague Dark Cloud feelings of "I'm going to drown in housework." and "I'll never make it alone with 4 children." Then I stop and look around at the beauty that surrounds me, and the things that I DO manage to get done, even at this late stage of pregnancy.

A funny little face:








Having fun baking together (this is Emms' beer bread recipe -- my only mod is that I put a few tablespoons of melted butter in the pan to "grease" it before adding the batter):

"Cheers!"







Weaving:


Sweater progress:


This morning's baking -- bread and granola:
(I put the ingredients for bread on the "dough only" setting, and then after that first rise take it out, form it into a loaf and let it rise a second time in a loaf pan before baking it in my conventional oven.)

Handknit socks hanging up to dry (the children love swirling them in the sink and then squeezing the water out):


Because of the constant business, excess hormones, and general pregnant discomfort, sometimes it's easy to forget all of the little moments and things that mean so much. I have learned to photograph the texture, the unexpected beauty, as I live through my day. When I have a moment to rest, in those quiet pauses when I can breathe, I go back through the still images, and I'm reminded of how much I accomplish, and how much I have. I am truly blessed.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are blessed, Faith. You are amazing! You accomplish so much with your little brood and they are happy. Don't let fear get a grip. Continue to revel in all the good things.

My favorite verse is Phillipians 4:4-9 &13: (New King James Version)


4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Meditate on These Things


8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

You are strong in Him. You'll make it. I am grateful to have you as a daughter-in-law.

Love you,

Jill

Anonymous said...

PS That should be Philippians. I know better.

Mom2Zoey said...

I am amazed at all you do! I only have 2 kids, my husband comes home every night to give me a break and I still don't bake or knit. Give yourself a pat on the back from me! ~A

Anonymous said...

There is no question that you have a herculean task ahead of you. But thankfully it's a task that has much precedent. All mothers have gone before and their strength rings down through the ages, "It's what we do..." And in the midst of all the effort that you feel may sometimes overwhelm you, you do the smart thing... noticing the small moments... the funny face... the pure enjoyment of fresh baked bread... the work of your hands. The fact that all have gone before does nothing to diminish the enormity and wonder of your accomplishment. You are a strong woman, and I appreciate who you are.