Monday, July 19, 2010

Back to being me

After my post the other day (thank you to those of you who wrote or commented with encouragement!), I scrubbed my house down, set to organizing my studio, and promptly felt much better.  I'm not going to say that cleaning and organizing is the answer to everything, but having clear, clean space in my living quarters certainly does help.  (Not to mention that I also FINALLY HAVE MY CAR BACK!  And of course now have nowhere that I need to go.  Of course.)

I'm not completely done with my studio yet -- still need to sell my floor loom and buy cubicle shelving, which I'm working on doing, but at least now I have more floor space, and it just feels...calmer, somehow.  I walk in there and breathe a sigh of relief as I sit down at the sewing machine, or bring a book to my desk for a few stolen moments of peace or quiet reflection.
The evening light through my studio window
The last of the evening light through my studio window

Even if you don't have a dedicated studio, I encourage you to claim a closet, chair, or even just a favorite window with the perfect sort of morning light to call "yours".  It's good to have your own space where you can gather yourself and get your bearings, to either begin your day or to catch your breath in the one quiet moment you might have to yourself.

Once I was done with my several-day organization project, I felt the overwhelming impulse to create things again...I hadn't really worked on any projects for most of the week, so I attacked my short-list of sewing with a vengeance.  Greg very lovingly gave me nearly the entirety of Sunday to myself, occupying the children and managing their snacks and meals so that I could lock myself away and sew like my life depended on it.  I emerged feeling relieved, peaceful, productive, and like I had gotten back to being myself again.  It's good to be back.

Par Avion Spring tablecloth (laminated cotton by Michael Miller)
Tablecloth using laminated cotton "Par Avion Spring" by Michael Miller.

Box bag (finally made one for myself)
Box bag, using fabric from Anna Maria Horner's "Chocolate Lollipop" line -- finally one for me!

Sparky's embroidered tote bag
Andrew's embroidered tote bag.  (Embroidery applequed on striped canvas.)

I've got a few more projects in the works that are almost ready to show you...
Setting up to make Aunt Millie's Hot Pads

Oh yes, my friends. I am back.

No comments: