Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Choosing peace

Anxious.  Every so often, I wake up in the morning with that feeling.  The sinking sensation in the pit of my stomach that nothing will be accomplished today...that it can never all be accomplished...that I have too many things that I want to get done...that I have children who need me.


 

My kitchen blackboard holds an important reminder for me...

It doesn't help that, for most of the summer, we've been a one-car family, with multiple long-range problems with my husband's car.  It has lived in-and-out of the mechanic's shop for months, and sometimes the frustration of it all makes me feel stuck, furious, and kind of sick.  I hate feeling helpless, waiting for him to get home with "my" vehicle to be able to run any errands, and just not being able to accomplish much outside the house.  On the upside, it has made me appreciate the fact that we DO have a second car that WILL eventually be fixed (hopefully this week!)


 


Nothing in this pile of works in progress is moving along quickly enough for this sort of a day.  I've promised the children that we will go swimming today, which is a good thing, because all that I want to do is shut myself into my studio today and sew like my life depended on it.  That doesn't tend to make the children's day all that happy.  I must focus on them, and shut off the stress that I feel so that they don't suffer from it.

Reading together...
Piano lessons...
Hot gluing buttons to handmade books...
Watercolor...
Playdough...
Swimming.

In spite of myself, this might actually be a lovely day.


 

No comments: