Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Three Months Old (a birth story)

Three months ago today, I gave birth to my little sunshine boy.


Photo by Andrew

When I posted the birth annoucement, I had promised a birth story for those of you who wished to know the details, but I've been a tiny bit busy...and somehow forgot.


Photo by Andrew

Today, however, Jonah is exactly 3 months old. In honor of this milestone, here is the story at long last:

On December 18th, I woke up at 6:00 in the morning with hard cramps. I'd had a very spicy Indian lunch the day before, and it was apparent that it had worked it's magic. I was able to fall back asleep, but then noticed that I was waking up about every 10 minutes with a hard cramp. At 8:00 I finally got out of bed, and determined, as the cramping had definitely taken a turn towards contractions, that I was in labor.

I woke Greg up, and called Alexa, the midwife. I experienced a contraction while on the phone with her, and she determined that she should probably come to my house immediately. (Some of you will remember that last time with Lavella, I accidentally delivered without Alexa, so she knew that there wasn't any time to waste!)

Things progressed very quickly from there. It went from "this hurts but we can still talk about stuff" to "no one bother me because I think I'm going to die". The midwife and Greg both did pressure points on me to alleviate the pain some, but it was still the worst pain I can ever remember experiencing. (I think this every time though, so it's probably been pretty consistently That Bad each time. Just guessing.)

Greg, with crazy multi-tasking skills, was able to run back and forth across the house, alternately putting on videos for the children, answering their calls for breakfast, snacks, whatever, shuttling Lavella back out of the room several times (she kept coming to me wanting to be held and comforted, because it was disturbing her that I was distressed. Oh baby.), and pressing on the base of my back to help with the contractions.

At 9:45 after about 1 hour and 45 minutes of active labor and 3 minutes of pushing, I gave birth to Jonah, on the computer room floor. Again.

So Happy Three Months Old, little dude. I'm so glad that I get to be your Mommy; to watch you grow, and discover who you are.


(Bathroom courtesy of Poppy and Nana)

Everyone here loves you like crazy. You're a cool guy.



We're so happy to have you as part of our family.

(For bigger versions of all of these pictures, click on any of them, or click here.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesomely precious. I love the bathrobe pics.
I am told that when in labor I insisted that my husband take me away immediately!...that I wanted nothing more to do with this whole affair. Hm...

Mom2Zoey said...

Another awesome birth! You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

O I love birth stories... maybe I'm weird ;-P I especially like the bit about "going from 'i can talk about stuff'..to ' i'm in so much pain i think i am going to die!!!" SO been there LOL It's amazing how much pain you can actually withstand without passing out.
I can not get over how adorable Jonah is.. he is just way too cute for his own good.
Congrats on a beautiful little boy.
~Eve