Saturday, December 18, 2010

Happy birthday, Jonah!

Dear Jonah,

Today, you turned 2.  It seems like a lifetime ago that I was pregnant with you, waiting for your daddy to come home mid-deployment, waiting to meet you at last.  Two days after he came home, you were born, exactly on time.  Thanks for that.


 


Last year was our first Christmas in Texas.  We had been here for 3 months, and had already begun to feel like this was truly home.


 

(In a new outfit from Aunt Mary Ann and Uncle Bob)

Looking back on the past two years, so much has happened, so much has changed, yet in some ways it seems no time has passed at all.  Somehow, right in front of my eyes, you have grown from the fussiest newborn into the funniest little guy I know.  It is true that you can often be found beating up Lavella or destroying some part of the house, yet you have a tender side that never fails to melt my heart.  Your chubby little arms around my neck, the way you gently pat my back when I hold you, the fierce Never Surrender way that you give me a kiss; I love you like crazy, my little friend.


 


Last week, when Daddy gave you the first ornament to put on our Christmas tree, I just watched you.  The smell of the evergreen tree, your heavy breathing as you tried to get the hook over the branch, the way your belly stuck out as you drew back to look up through the pine needles at the shining lights... Each year seems to speed by, and is always done before I feel through with it, but in my memory, these precious moments will live on.

I cherish every day with you.  Through the tears (yours and mine), through the laughter (you make everyone smile), through the loud (when you punch Lavella and then shout over her screams "FEE FYET!!" = "BE QUIET!!") and through the quiet (when we read...when you sleep), I am so glad that you're my son.


 


My precious boy.   A baby for today, my child forever.


 

(Fell asleep in the hall before I could get you into bed for naptime)

I love you.

Love always,
Mommy

3 comments:

a.susie said...

Beautiful as always.

Anonymous said...

He's such a sweet-natured, natural-born athlete and oh, so funny! Happy Terrific Two Jonah!

Nana

marissa stanfield said...

such a sweet note. Thanks for sharing!