Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Decaffeinated and a visit with Jonathan

This past Friday, I was intending on posting my usual collection of links, but my brother was here to visit on R&R, mid-deployment for the weekend, and we ended up having lots of busy fun.

 

My brother wrestling with the children


 

Jonathan and Greg, spelunking with friends


 



 




 





 

Waiting out in the cold for a table at Uchi (my favorite fabulous Austin restaurant/sushi bar)

 
 

The Uchi Shot: a quail egg yoke and sea urchin roe, topped up with sparkling white wine.  Amazing.



 

As per tradition, we always make pizza whenever Jonathan comes to visit



 




 




 

I picked up a few quarts of frozen custard for dessert on our last night with Jonathan.  I made hot fudge sauce, caramel sauce (both from Baking: From My Home to Yours), and Greg candied some bacon, which Jonathan put all together for an inspired take on the traditional hot fudge sundae. 


I figured I'd just catch up with the blogging on Monday, but I also decided that Monday would be The Day When I Quit Coffee.  Therefore, I have not been able to wrap my poor muddled head around writing a blog post, much less pretty much anything else.  Grr.

Side note: The decision to quit coffee is because I've realized that, once I am fully addicted to my morning cup, it no longer energizes me.  It merely makes me feel "normal".  Then, after drinking it for months or a year, it actually starts to make me feel more tired, giving me headaches, etc.  Therefore, enough!  No more for me.) Today is day 3 of the coffee withdrawal, and I'm doing OK.  Prescription strength Tylenol and daily afternoon naps have been my best allies, and I think I just might live.  This too shall pass.  Or so they say. ~end side note

So.  A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had completed yet another circle skirt.  I had intended to make a petticoat to go under and add fullness and fun, but then I decided that I should really get a ruffle foot for my sewing machine if I intend on doing that much ruffling...and I haven't gotten one yet.  Nonetheless, this circle skirt is my favorite so far, petticoat or not.


 


I've discovered that a silky polyester Satin Charmeuse is the easiest to work with, since the drape is the same all around, on the bias or not (which really matters with this sort of skirt).


 


Currently I'm working on a linen cherry-red paneled a-line skirt, but I don't seem to have the right color of hidden zipper, so I need to make a trip to the fabric store.  At the moment, however, it's just so blustery cold and icy outside that all I want to do is curl up with my little ones and take a long winter's nap.  Alas, a nap won't be possible today, so instead I'm making a big pot of Cincinnati Chili over spaghetti, and counting the hours till bedtime.

No comments: